Are you like millions of Americans who are finding that their clothes are a little tighter, harder to zip up and that you’re avoiding getting on the scale? Truth is, I’m in the same boat and was cringing when a friend posted some photos on social media. OMG, where did that added roll come from?
Where? Maybe the added rolls at dinner? Why, oh why can’t I eat anything and everything I want, whenever I want? Why don’t I have the body of a supermodel? Why? Because I like to eat, ok! I love to eat and cook yummy delicious food. But, the reality is, I am also motivated to look better in and out of my clothes and feel stronger in my body.
Look, I can resist a lot of things, but not homemade cookies, which is why I’m hitting the gym and getting back into my healthier routines. I’m all about being optimistic and using motivation, so instead of beating myself up, I’m starting by repeating some positive affirmations that I have adapted after repeating many that I read from Louise Hay’s book, You Can Heal Your Life.
At first, repeating affirmations may seem a little odd, but after a while as you practice saying them, your brain catches on and helps reinforce your healthy behaviors. Here are a few to get you started.
“I like making healthy, nutritious choices when it comes to my meals.”
“I enjoy working out; It gets my heart pumping and boosts my energy for the whole day.”
“I like looking great in my clothes.”
“I love hiking on steep trails on the weekends and being able to enjoy the views.”
What’s your favorite Affirmation?
Find your own motivation
Now that you’re feeling better about yourself, find your fire, your motivation to stay with healthier choices. Ask yourself what motivates you to be healthier or lose weight. Better yet, write it down. Don’t edit yourself and do be honest, because it works better that way, even if it’s something superficial and vain, like: I want to look better for my class reunion.
Or it might be:
- I want to look better in photos
- I want to stop editing my selfies
- I want my ex to see how fabulous I look
- I want to be able to put on a swimsuit without using heavy equipment to pull it up
- I want to stop breathing heavy when I walk up stairs
- I want to be able to see my toes when I stand up straight and look down
- I want to be able to go dancing without stopping because my legs hurt
- I want to be able to go on a bike ride with my kids
- I want to get my blood pressure or blood glucose values into a normal range
What’s your motivation? I want to hear from you.
Think your way to weight loss
Here are more tried and true, time tested tips that don’t cost a cent:
- Aim for 1-3 positive changes every 3 – 7 days
- I’ll try to get 1000 extra steps in every day this week
- I’ll cut my alcohol intake in half
- I’ll eat a salad for lunch at least 3 times this week
Start now! There’s no time like the present. BTW, you are strong and you can do this.