Everyone has New Year’s resolutions, and the packed gyms are evidence. By February, most people’s good intentions start to fade into memory and are barely visible in the rearview mirror of healthy resolutions.
Here are 3 ways to Detox Physically in 2020
Your Physical Self – There are things everyone should do, no matter what age or stage they’re in:
- Morning cleanse: Start each day with 2 (8 oz) glasses of water (warm or cold) with a squeeze of lemon.
- This helps reduce dehydration
- Helps with constipation to get everything moving
- Fills you up, so you’ll eat less
- Counteracts the diuretic effects of coffee and tea
- The lemon juice has vitamin C and is also an antioxidant (anti-aging and helps reduce Free Radicals, boosting your immune system and reducing the risk of cancer
- And, the citric acid in lemon water helps reduce the likelihood of kidney stones
- Dispels “morning breath”
2.Stretching, yoga or a quick walk around the block
- Getting up and out of bed, moving and increasing your heart rate doesn’t have to mean a 2 hour trip to the gym
- A few stretches, walking in place will get your heart pumping and helps lift brain fog
- I recently met up with Ben Sullivan, a terrific personal trainer who helped me with some exercises
3. A Plant-Based, not Plant – Exclusive diet
• This nourishes your MicroBiome, the universe of individuals that live in your digestive tract.
• Blueberries, Kale, Quinoa, Zucchini, Apples, Pears and Butternut squash are all very Biome friendly
• Look for raw almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds—when they’re raw they retain more of their anti-oxidant properties, and less salt is better for everyone
• Whole grains and beans – My prediction is that much like eggs got a break and now people are eating them again, the same will happen with legumes, beans, and peanuts. These healthy fiber-rich foods will be making a come back.
• Aim for a rainbow of vegetables on your plate! – These are all loaded with micronutrients that help your body be it’s healthiest. Research shows that a plant-based diet helps people live longer by reducing weight, diabetes, heart disease and promoting antioxidants that help protect against Free Radicals that can lead to cancer
• Look for plant-based oils so you will feel satisfied – Think olive oil and lemon squeezed on a salad with avocado! You’ll feel fuller faster and are eating healthy, nutritious food.
• Everyone knows about the health benefits of olive oil, but there are other new oils now: avocado oil, red palm oil, hemp oil – which is super green and my personal favorite, hazelnut oil.
3. Your Relationships: How to detox a relationship? Wow, depending upon your circumstances, this might mean talking to a therapist, counselor or pursuing more self-help.
- 1st rule in this: You can’t change anyone but YOURSELF
- Become aware: Listen to your body (why mindfulness is helpful) – Is there something about this person, situation or relationship that’s causing your feelings of unease?
- Can you step back and not take what’s happening personally?
- Is it possible to look at the underlying issues that might be contributing, for example, your partner snaps at you because they’re tired?
c. Then figure out what you need and communicate with “I messages” not “You messages”: I can see that you’re tired and frustrated. I felt hurt when I heard that last comment. I want to be here for you, but not as a doormat.”