Are you feeling a little overwhelmed with the number of items on your To-Do List? Is one of those, searching for the perfect gift for someone or many people you care about?
I sometimes feel guilty if I slip a gift card into an envelope when I don’t have hours to search for a unique and fun gift. Then, there are times, when I have to stop and remind myself that there are lots of ways to give.
You may not have extra time, extra funds or extra ideas for what to give, and that’s ok, you can always give of your heart. In fact, there are lots of ways to give that you already be doing, that you may not perceive as being selfless and thoughtful, so let me give you a list of generous acts.
• When you’re super busy and rushed, and yet you stop what you’re doing to take the time to be 100% present and have a conversation with an elderly neighbor who might be a little lonely.
• When a friend is going through a tough time and you call, text or drop by to sit together, offer to go for a walk or pick up groceries.
• When you resist the urge to offer unsolicited advice and try to fix other people’s problems, (even though you know you could) but instead of searching for just the right thing to say, you decide, wisely not to jump into the situation, but instead, “Sit by the fire with them.
• When you make someone’s favorite meal, just because they love it.
• When a friend who’s undergoing chemo needs a companion to drive them, sit with them, understanding that they may need to sleep, or not feel like talking, just knowing you’re there makes them feel better.
• When a co-worker is having a bad day and you bring them a cup of coffee.
• When the local school is having a rummage sale/holiday sale/ bake sale and you buy something to support them.
• When you go through your closets and find coats, sweaters and warm clothes to donate for people who might be cold this season.
• When you’re doing your food shopping and you slip some coins into the Salvation Army container on your way in or out.
• When you’re boarding the plane and you stop to help an elderly person put their bag in the overhead.
There are innumerable acts of kindness and ways to be generous of spirit. If you want an easy way to be generous, you can click here to make a donation to FAME hospital in Tanzania. This will go a long way in helping FAME to make this world a gentler, safer place for the many rural Tanzanians who depend on FAME for life-saving care.